Afro Hair Transplant
Medically reviewed by Dr. Sternberg
Despite being curly, thick, and dense, Afro hair is just as susceptible to breakage as straight hair. A hair transplant is one of the best ways to treat hair loss in afro hair for both men and women.
Read on to learn all about hair transplants for afro hair including hair types, transplant techniques, and challenges.
In a Nutshell
|Afro Hair Types||Curly, Wavy, Straight|
|Afro Hair Transplant Methods||FUE, FUT, DHI|
|Duration||3 - 8 hours|
|Side Effects||Swelling, Redness|
|Cost||2,500 - 9,000 USD|
|Where||US, UK, Turkey...|
What does your hair loss look like?Find DoctorFree & non-binding
|Criteria||Afro Hair||Straight Hair|
Characterized by tight curls that are very difficult to straighten even after combing.
Naturally resistant to curls or waves.
Hair strands may seem thicker but are more fragile and brittle, making them prone to breakage, especially while brushing.
Might be less prone to breakage than afro hair as it is less brittle and frizzy.
Grows slowly at only 0.9 cm per month. Slower growth than straight hair.
Growth rates for straight Caucasian and Asian hair are 1.2 cm a month and 1.3 cm a month respectively.
Tends to twist and curl at the roots, sometimes even below the skin.
The roots and ends are both straight. Even most wavy hair is straight at the roots.
High-density, thick and voluminous hair.
Less density and volume than afro hair.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does an afro hair transplant cost?
The cost of your afro hair transplant will depend upon the number of grafts recommended by your hair surgeon. Typically, hair transplants use 1,500 to 2,500 grafts but afro hair may require less due to its high volume and density. You can expect to pay 2,675.61 USD for 2,500 grafts in Turkey.
What is the best method for an afro hair transplant?
Follicular Unit Extraction or FUE, a process that involves the extraction of 1 to 4 hair follicles individually to form a graft, is the most commonly used method for afro hair transplant.
How long does a hair transplant last?
An effective hair transplant can last a lifetime as healthy hair follicles will keep producing new hair. The full results of a hair transplant usually appear within six months to one year of the procedure.
What is special about an afro hair transplant?
The curls, thickness, and density of afro hair make it challenging to perform hair transplantation as it requires way more time and care to deliver natural results.
- Umar S, Shitabata P, Rose P, Carter MJ, Thuangtong R, Lohlun B, Benhiba H, Oguzoglu T, Zollinger MM, Maldonado J, Gonzalez A, Novosilska M, Gómez Zubiaur A, Marti M. A New Universal Follicular Unit Excision Classification System for Hair Transplantation Difficulty and Patient Outcome. Clin Cosmet Investig Dermatol. 2022 Jun 27;15:1133-1147.
- Rogers, Nicole E.; Avram, Marc R.: Medical treatments for male and female pattern
hair loss , In: Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, Nr. 59 (4), 2008, S.
- Umar S. Comparative Study of a Novel Tool for Follicular Unit Extraction for Individuals with Afro-textured Hair. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2016 Sep 27;4(9):e1069.
- E. Loganathan, S. Sarvajnamurthy, D. Gorur, et. al.: Complications of Hair Restoration
Surgery: A Retrospective Analysis, In: Int. J. Trichology, Nr. 6, 2014, S. 168–172.
- Tanus A, Oliveira CC, Villarreal DJ, Sanchez FA, Dias MF. Black women’s hair: the main scalp dermatoses and aesthetic practices in women of African ethnicity. An Bras Dermatol. 2015 Jul-Aug;90(4):450-65.