Hair Transplant Side Effects
Medically reviewed by Dr. Sternberg
Hair transplantation is one of the most effective methods against androgenetic hair loss, but it does not come without risk. The main risk patients encounter is the hair surgeon being insufficiently qualified, leading to poor surgical performance and substandard results. What are possible side effects and risks? And how can these be mitigated? Learn the best strategy in this guide.
In a Nutshell
|Risk||Shock loss, numbness etc.|
|Cost||$2,000 – $13,000|
What does your hair loss look like?Find DoctorFree & non-binding
Frequently Asked Questions
Are hair transplants safe?
Hair transplants have been performed for over 40 years and have proven to be an effective and safe treatment for hair loss. While there are possible side effects, they are non-life threatening and temporary.
Is a hair transplant permanent?
Hair transplantation is permanent because the transplanted hair comes from areas of the body that are DHT resistant (e.g., the back of the head). DHT is the enzyme that causes hair loss.
Can transplanted hair fall out again?
On average, 80% - 90% of transplanted hair grows. These hairs will then grow in the new place for the rest of their lives and will not fall out again.
- E. Loganathan, S. Sarvajnamurthy, D. Gorur, et. al.: Complications of Hair Restoration Surgery: A Retrospective Analysis, In: Int. J. Trichology, Nr. 6, 2014, S. 168–172.
- Avram MR, Finney R, Rogers N. Hair Transplantation Controversies. Dermatol Surg. 2017;43 Suppl 2:S158‐S162.
- Rassman WR, Bernstein RM, McClellan R, Jones R, et al.: Follicular Unit Extraction: Minimally Invasive Surgery for Hair Transplantation, In: Dermatol Surg., Nr. 28 (8), S. 720–770.
- R. Rashid, L. Bicknell, T. Morgan: Follicular unit extraction hair transplant automation: Options in overcoming challenges of the latest technology in hair restoration with the goal of avoiding the line scar, In: Dermatology Online Journal, Nr. 18, 2012.
- Venkataram, A., & Mysore, V. (2018). Logic of Hair Transplantation. Journal of cutaneous and aesthetic surgery, 11(4), 169–172.