Medically reviewed by Dr. Sternberg
Eyebrow transplant is becoming more and more popular as more people have a problem with eyebrow hair loss and seek a long-lasting solution. A cosmetic or plastic surgeon performs an eyebrow transplant. Usually, hair from the head is transplanted to the eyebrow area. Keep reading to learn more details about the procedure, its pros and cons, and costs.
In a Nutshell
|Cost||$3,000 - $8,000|
|Alternatives||Make-up, Serums etc.|
|It is most likely a long-lasting solution, unlike microblading, tattooing technique, or other options.||The procedure is not very cheap, so you should also consider this.|
|The transplanted hair looks natural because it is taken from your own body.||The whole effect becomes visible in a couple of months up to a year.|
|The surgery will decrease the need for various make-up procedures.||The transplanted follicles rarely may not take, meaning they will not produce hair.|
|After the recovery, no additional medical treatment is needed. You can do anything with the eyebrows - style and trim them as you like.||Even though fewer make-up procedures are required, new eyebrows need some special care as they will need trimming (the transplanted hair will continue to grow as it is taken from the back of the head)|
|The procedure helps improve self-esteem and confidence.|
What does your hair loss look like?Find DoctorFree & non-binding
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does an eyebrow transplant cost?
The eyebrow transplant cost varies depending on the location, specific characteristics, and the service provider. More than one session may be required if the area that needs covering is large or a greater eyebrow density is desired. The second or subsequent session will add up to the total cost of the transplant.
Can I grow my eyebrows with minoxidil?
Minoxidil is used against head hair loss. Even though there is a talk that it works wonders on eyebrows, too, it is not approved for use on the eyebrows area. The skin over the eyes is much more sensitive than on the head, and minoxidil can cause skin irritation, itching, and scaling. Besides, there is a high chance of getting it in the eyes while applying. In addition, minoxidil must be used regularly without stopping as discontinuing can cause permanent hair loss.
Where can I do an eyebrow transplant?
It is best to check what clinics are available close to your location. A cosmetic or a plastic surgeon performs the surgery, so it is recommended to do research on the doctor's credentials and experience, check previous works, and read feedback from past clients. A consultation is one of the ways to get more information from the clinic or doctor before making the final decision on where to do the procedure.
- Gupta J, Kumar A, Chouhan K, Ariganesh C, Nandal V. The Science and Art of Eyebrow Transplantation by Follicular Unit Extraction. J Cutan Aesthet Surg. 2017;10(2):66-71.
- Park JH, Kim NR, Manonukul K. Eyebrow Transplantation Using Long Hair Follicular Unit Excision Technique. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2021;9(5):e3598. Published 2021 May 25.
- Avram MR, Finney R, Rogers N. Hair Transplantation Controversies. Dermatol Surg. 2017;43 Suppl 2:S158‐S162.
- Harris JA: Follicular unit extraction , In: Facial Plast Surg. Nr.24, 2008, S. 404–413.
- R. Rashid, L. Bicknell, T. Morgan: Follicular unit extraction hair transplant automation: Options in overcoming challenges of the latest technology in hair restoration with the goal of avoiding the line scar, In: Dermatology Online Journal, Nr. 18, 2012.