41 Hair Loss Treatments
Medically reviewed by Dr. Sternberg
Are you looking for a “miracle treatment” to stop your hair loss? Then you have come to the right place. Hair loss remedies are a dime a dozen – from natural remedies to medications and surgical procedures. We have compiled a list of remedies that is as COMPLETE as possible.
We present each remedy briefly, clarify objectively whether it is suitable and tell you how much it costs. Let’s venture into the jungle of hair loss remedies with a drawn machete!
In a Nutshell
|Beauty Care||Ketoconazole etc.|
|Drugs||Finasterid & Minoxidil etc.|
What does your hair loss look like?Find DoctorFree & non-binding
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best hair loss treatment?
Many hair loss remedies promise to be a "miracle treatment". However, very few remedies have been recognized through scientific research as effective treatments for hair loss. The exceptions to this are the drugs finasteride and minoxidil, as well as hair transplants.
Does anything really regrow hair?
No, hair cannot be regrown in places that have completely lost all hair follicles. The only solution to gain hair in these areas is to have hair from other regions of the body or head transplanted to the bald area. However, finasteride and minoxidil do have the ability to stimulate growth and improve density in areas where the hair is thinning.
What really helps combat hair loss in women?
For female hair loss, minoxidil and hair transplantation are particularly suitable. Minoxidil is applied locally to the affected areas in the morning and evening. Finasteride, however, does not help with female hair loss.
Which home remedies are best for hair loss?
There are many household remedies that are supposed to help against hair loss e.g., biotin or coconut oil. However, the effectiveness of all-natural household remedies have not been scientifically proven.
- Fabbrocini G, Cantelli M, Masarà A, Annunziata MC, Marasca C, Cacciapuoti S. Female pattern hair loss: A clinical, pathophysiologic, and therapeutic review. Int J Womens Dermatol. 2018;4(4):203‐211. Published 2018 Jun 19.
- Semsarzadeh N, Khetarpal S. Platelet-Rich Plasma and Stem Cells for Hair Growth: A Review of the Literature. Aesthet Surg J. 2020;40(4):NP177‐NP188.
- Amato F, G, Bono G: Measuring Finasteride Efficacy. Dermatology 2003;207:214-214.
- Katz HI. Topical minoxidil: review of efficacy and safety. Cutis. 1989;43(1):94‐98.
- Glynis A. A Double-blind, Placebo-controlled Study Evaluating the Efficacy of an Oral Supplement in Women with Self-perceived Thinning Hair. J Clin Aesthet Dermatol. 2012;5(11):28‐34.
- Adil A, Godwin M. The effectiveness of treatments for androgenetic alopecia: A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2017;77(1):136‐141.e5.