15 DHT Blocker Against Hair Loss
Medically reviewed by Dr. Sternberg
At least 40% of all men and 20% of all women are affected by hair loss. Excess DHT is one of the main causes of hair loss in men and women. Through various foods, drinks, but also medications, you can counteract the excess DHT and hair loss. Learn on this page, which means sustainably DHT block.
In a Nutshell
|Function||Androgens, sex hormones etc.|
|Best natural DHT blockers||Coconut oil, kale, green tea etc.|
|Medication||Minoxidil, dutasteride, finasteride etc.|
What does your hair loss look like?Find DoctorFree & non-binding
Frequently Asked Questions
What blocks DHT best?
Natural sources to block DHT are foods like tomatoes, mushrooms and bananas. Otherwise, pumpkin seed oil, castor oil and coconut oil have also been shown to be suitable.
Is finasteride dangerous?
Finasteride can disrupt hormonal balance and cause side effects such as loss of libido, erectile dysfunction, and sleep disturbances.
What causes the DHT level to rise?
The exact cause is not clear at this time. Some plausible explanation may be oxidative stress and inflammation, which increase DHT levels.
- Cho, Y. H., Lee, S. Y., Jeong, D. W., Choi, E. J., Kim, Y. J., Lee, J. G., Yi, Y. H., & Cha, H. S. (2014). Effect of pumpkin seed oil on hair growth in men with androgenetic alopecia: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Evidence-based complementary and alternative medicine : eCAM, 2014, 54972
- Amato F, G, Bono G: Measuring Finasteride Efficacy. Dermatology 2003;207:214-214.
- Sattur, S. S., & Sattur, I. S. (2021). Pharmacological Management of Pattern Hair Loss. Indian journal of plastic surgery : official publication of the Association of Plastic Surgeons of India, 54(4), 422–434.
- Glynis A. A Double-blind, Placebo-controlled Study Evaluating the Efficacy of an Oral Supplement in Women with Self-perceived Thinning Hair. J Clin Aesthet Dermatol. 2012;5(11):28‐34.
- Katz HI. Topical minoxidil: review of efficacy and safety. Cutis. 1989;43(1):94‐98.
- Adil A, Godwin M. The effectiveness of treatments for androgenetic alopecia: A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2017;77(1):136‐141.e5.