What is the best age to get a hair transplant?
Medically reviewed by Dr. Sternberg
Hair loss is a common but life-altering condition that can affect anyone regardless of age. Since hair transplants are one of the best treatments for hair loss, many people wonder when they should opt for one. Read on to learn all about the best age to undergo a hair transplant procedure to make an informed choice.
|Eligibility||18-65 age range|
|Preferred age||Above 25|
|Other recommendation||Finasteride or Minoxidil|
|Methods||FUE, DHI and FUT|
What does your hair loss look like?Find DoctorFree & non-binding
Frequently Asked Questions
Is 24 too early to get a hair transplant?
Yes, 24 might be too young to get a hair transplant for most patients. While you can get a hair transplant as young as 18 years old, most doctors recommend being 30 or above for a successful transplant procedure. Since hair loss is a progressive condition, when younger patients who lack a stabilized balding pattern get a hair transplant, it might not age gracefully.
What is the average age of people getting a hair transplant?
According to an ISHRS consensus in 2017, most male patients get a hair transplant within the age range of 30 to 39 on average.
- James E. Vogel, MD, Francisco Jimenez, MD, John Cole, MD, Sharon A. Keene, MD, James A. Harris, MD, Alfonso Barrera, MD, Paul T. Rose, MD, JD, Hair Restoration Surgery: The State of the Art, Aesthetic Surgery Journal, Volume 33, Issue 1, January 2013, Pages 128–151
- True RH. Is Every Patient of Hair Loss a Candidate for Hair Transplant?-Deciding Surgical Candidacy in Pattern Hair Loss. Indian J Plast Surg. 2021 Dec 20;54(4):435-440.
- Alberti FB, Hoyle V. Face Transplants: An International History. J Hist Med Allied Sci. 2021 Sep 6;76(3):319-345.
- Venkataram, A., & Mysore, V. (2018). Logic of Hair Transplantation. Journal of cutaneous and aesthetic surgery, 11(4), 169–172.
- Sattur SS, Sattur IS. Pharmacological Management of Pattern Hair Loss. Indian J Plast Surg. 2021 Dec 13;54(4):422-434.