How long does a hair transplant last?
Medically reviewed by Dr. Sternberg
Hair transplant candidates often have questions about the results of the procedure and how long it can last. This guide explains the permanence of hair transplant procedures including the factors affecting it, post-surgery results, and more.
In a Nutshell
|Factors influencing lifespan||Surgeon experience, Medication|
|How to preserve?||Finasterid, Minoxidil etc.|
|Second hair transplant||Sometimes necessary|
What does your hair loss look like?Find DoctorFree & non-binding
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I go bald again after a hair transplant?
It is unlikely for patients to go completely bald again following a hair transplant surgery. This is because healthy hair follicles implanted in the balding regions will remain resistant to DHT and continue to produce hair.
Will I need another hair transplant in the future?
You might need a second hair transplant depending on your age, the extent of hair loss, and whether you take medications to slow down hair fall. Some patients go through another hair transplant procedure to address other balding regions.
Is one hair transplant enough?
For many patients, one hair transplant is enough to achieve satisfactory results for a lifetime. But some patients may opt for follow-up procedures to maintain their hair transplant results and fix hair loss in other areas.
How many years does a hair transplant last?
A hair transplant is a permanent solution for hair loss and should typically last a lifetime. However, the longevity and permanence of the procedure depend on factors such as the quality of the doctor and aftercare and the age, hormonal imbalances, and medical conditions of the patient.
- James E. Vogel, MD, Francisco Jimenez, MD, John Cole, MD, Sharon A. Keene, MD, James A. Harris, MD, Alfonso Barrera, MD, Paul T. Rose, MD, JD, Hair Restoration Surgery: The State of the Art, Aesthetic Surgery Journal, Volume 33, Issue 1, January 2013, Pages 128–151,
- Rassman WR, Bernstein RM, McClellan R, Jones R, et al.: Follicular Unit Extraction: Minimally Invasive Surgery for Hair Transplantation, In: Dermatol Surg., Nr. 28 (8), S. 720–770
- Kumaresan M, Subburathinam DM. Longevity of Hair Follicles after Follicular Unit Transplant Surgery. J Cutan Aesthet Surg. 2020 Oct-Dec;13(4):292-297.
- Rose PT. Hair restoration surgery: challenges and solutions. Clin Cosmet Investig Dermatol. 2015 Jul 15;8:361-70.
- Iamsumang W, Leerunyakul K, Suchonwanit P. Finasteride and Its Potential for the Treatment of Female Pattern Hair Loss: Evidence to Date. Drug Des Devel Ther. 2020 Mar 2;14:951-959.