Is a hair transplant painful?
Medically reviewed by Dr. Sternberg
A hair transplant is generally considered to be painless, especially when compared to other surgical procedures. However, it is still an operative procedure that may cause discomfort among patients. This article discusses the level of pain you can expect during and after your hair transplant surgery and how to avoid any pain.
|Painless hair transplant||Painless methods|
|Local anesthetic injections||Donor and recipient area|
|Hair transplant procedure||Extraction & insertion phase|
|Pain after surgery||Rarely tightness, headache|
What does your hair loss look like?Find DoctorFree & non-binding
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does the pain last after a hair transplant?
Pain and discomfort from a hair transplant should begin to leave within 48 to 72 hours post-surgery. A noticeable increase in pain after 72 hours should be reported to your hair surgeon.
Are you awake during a hair transplant?
Since hair surgeons use local anesthesia to numb the scalp, patients remain conscious during hair transplants. However, some patients might be given mild sedatives to help them calm down and relax for the procedure.
- E. Loganathan, S. Sarvajnamurthy, D. Gorur, et. al.: Complications of Hair Restoration Surgery: A Retrospective Analysis, In: Int. J. Trichology, Nr. 6, 2014, S. 168–172.
- Garg AK, Garg S. Complications of Hair Transplant Procedures-Causes and Management. Indian J Plast Surg. 2021 Dec 31;54(4):477-482.
- Park JH, You SH, Kim NR, Ho YH. Long hair follicular unit excision: personal experience. Int J Dermatol. 2021 Oct;60(10):1288-1295.
- Khanna M. Hair Transplant with Strip Harvest: Indications, Contraindications, and Technique. Indian J Plast Surg. 2021 Dec 31;54(4):451-455.
- Yoo H, Moh J, Park JU. Treatment of Postsurgical Scalp Scar Deformity Using Follicular Unit Hair Transplantation. Biomed Res Int. 2019 May 13;2019:3423657.