How many grafts are needed for a hair transplant?
Medically reviewed by Dr. Sternberg
Determining the number of grafts you need is one of the most crucial aspects of a hair transplant procedure. The quantity of grafts mainly depends upon individual requirements, needs, and other factors assessed by your doctor. Read on to learn all about hair grafts and how you can estimate the number of grafts prior to a consultation or evaluation.
In a Nutshell
|How many?||Depending on hair loss|
|Bold areas||Hairline, Front Third, Front Half|
|Other factors||Donor Region, quality of hair|
|Grafts per Norwood type||e.g. NW 3: 1,500 - 2,700|
|Donor Areas||Average Donor Capacity|
|Back of the head||4.000 - 6.000 Grafts|
|Side of the head||1.000 - 2.000 Grafts|
|Beard||0 - 2.000 Grafts|
|Breast||0 - 1.000 Grafts|
What does your hair loss look like?Find DoctorFree & non-binding
|Norwood Scale||Number Of Grafts|
|2||700 - 1.500|
|2a||700 - 1.500|
|3||1,500 - 2,700|
|3a||Front: 1,500 - 2,700 | Crown: 500 - 1,000|
|4||Front: 1,900 - 3,200 | Crown: 800 - 1,100|
|4a||2,700 - 3,900|
|5||Front: 2,400 - 3,700 | Crown: 1,000 - 1,500|
|5a||2,700 - 3,900|
|6+||Front: 3,200 - 3,900 | Crown: 1,600 - 2,400|
Frequently Asked Questions
How many hairs does 1 graft have?
Hair grafts are made up of small groupings of hair. You may find up to four hair in each graft and two hair on average.
How much do 5000 hair grafts cover?
5,000 grafts are typically enough to cover almost all of the scalp including the front, crown, and vertex with a good density of hair.
What is the maximum number of grafts per operation that is advisable?
The maximum number of grafts that can be extracted is estimated by the surgeon depending on the density of the donor area. Typically, 3,500 to 4,000 grafts can be extracted in one session.
- Harris JA: Follicular unit extraction, In: Facial Plast Surg. Nr.24, 2008, S. 404–413.
- Katz HI. Topical minoxidil: review of efficacy and safety. Cutis. 1989;43(1):94‐98.
- Alberti FB, Hoyle V. Face Transplants: An International History. J Hist Med Allied Sci. 2021 Sep 6;76(3):319-345.
- Noori A, Rabiee M, Mehrabani D, Namazi MR. Head and Neck Restoration in Scar Alopecia: Hair Transplantation in Scalp, Eyebrows, Beard and Mustache. World J Plast Surg. 2021 Sep;10(3):90-98.
- Oh JW, Kloepper J, Langan EA, Kim Y, Yeo J, Kim MJ, Hsi TC, Rose C, Yoon GS, Lee SJ, Seykora J, Kim JC, Sung YK, Kim M, Paus R, Plikus MV. A Guide to Studying Human Hair Follicle Cycling In Vivo. J Invest Dermatol. 2016 Jan;136(1):34-44.