How to reduce swelling after a hair transplant
Hair transplant procedures are known to be painless and convenient. However, you may notice some uncomfortable symptoms like redness and swelling after your surgery. While these effects typically disappear over time, they can be alarming for some patients. Learn more about the causes of swelling, its different types, and how you can reduce it.
|Grade of Swelling||Symptoms|
|Grade 0||No swelling|
|Grade I||Swelling on the upper forehead|
|Grade II||Swelling on both the upper and lower forehead|
|Grade III||Swelling around the eyes and cheeks (periorbital oedema)|
|Grade IV||Black eyes, difficulty opening eyes|
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you get rid of swelling after a hair transplant?
Can I take an anti-inflammatory after a hair transplant?
- Gholamali A, Sepideh P, Susan E. Hair Transplantation: Preventing Post-operative Oedema. J Cutan Aesthet Surg. 2010 May;3(2):87-9.
- Garg AK, Garg S. Complications of Hair Transplant Procedures-Causes and Management. Indian J Plast Surg. 2021 Dec 31;54(4):477-482.
- Yoo H, Moh J, Park JU. Treatment of Postsurgical Scalp Scar Deformity Using Follicular Unit Hair Transplantation. Biomed Res Int. 2019 May 13;2019:3423657.
- R. Rashid, L. Bicknell, T. Morgan: Follicular unit extraction hair transplant automation: Options in overcoming challenges of the latest technology in hair restoration with the goal of avoiding the line scar, In: Dermatology Online Journal, Nr. 18, 2012.
- Noori A, Rabiee M, Mehrabani D, Namazi MR. Head and Neck Restoration in Scar Alopecia: Hair Transplantation in Scalp, Eyebrows, Beard and Mustache. World J Plast Surg. 2021 Sep;10(3):90-98.
- E. Loganathan, S. Sarvajnamurthy, D. Gorur, et. al.: Complications of Hair Restoration Surgery: A Retrospective Analysis, In: Int. J. Trichology, Nr. 6, 2014, S. 168–172.