When can I go back to work after a hair transplant?
Medically reviewed by Dr. Sternberg
Hair transplants may be minimally invasive and super convenient but they are still surgical procedures that require some recovery time. Many patients wonder how long they have to wait before returning to work and their regular routine. This article discusses when you can return to work after a hair transplant and some tips to make the transition comfortable.
|Recovery time||10-14 days|
|Hair transplant technique||FUE and FUT|
|Tips for recovery||Avoid sunlight|
|Signs to conceal||Shaved hair, Scrabbing, Redness|
Frequently Asked Questions
How many days of rest are required after a hair transplant?
While it is possible to return to work only five days after a hair transplant, the decision should depend on factors such as the nature of your job and the transplant technique you choose. Ideally, you should return to work after 10 to 14 days to give yourself time to heal and recover. At this stage, the redness, scabbing, and swelling should have subsided to help you conceal your procedure better.
What can I do 7 days after a hair transplant?
After 7 days, you can resume your daily routine and go to work normally without anyone noticing scabbing, redness, or swelling on your scalp. Just do your best to avoid sun exposure, constricting headwear, and other things that might damage the grafts.
- Kumaresan M, Mysore V. Controversies in Hair Transplantation. J Cutan Aesthet Surg. 2018 Oct-Dec;11(4):173-181.
- E. Loganathan, S. Sarvajnamurthy, D. Gorur, et. al.: Complications of Hair Restoration Surgery: A Retrospective Analysis, In: Int. J. Trichology, Nr. 6, 2014, S. 168–172.
- Garg S. Outcome of Intra-operative Injected Platelet-rich Plasma Therapy During Follicular Unit Extraction Hair Transplant: A Prospective Randomised Study in Forty Patients. J Cutan Aesthet Surg. 2016 Jul-Sep;9(3):157-164.
- Rassman WR, Bernstein RM, McClellan R, Jones R, et al.: Follicular Unit Extraction: Minimally Invasive Surgery for Hair Transplantation, In: Dermatol Surg., Nr. 28 (8), S. 720–770
- Mysore V, Kumaresan M, Garg A, Dua A, Venkatram A, Dua K, Singh M, Madura C, Chandran R, Rajput RS, Sattur S, Singh S. Hair Transplant Practice Guidelines. J Cutan Aesthet Surg. 2021 Jul-Sep;14(3):265-284.